Recently I was working on a site that had been originally built with Rails 2 and was later migrated to Rails 3. As part of the migration the cucumber integration tests were switched from using Webrat to drive the UI to using Capybara. Unfortunately this broke a handful of tests for the mobile version of the UI.
The site decides whether or not to show the user the mobile version of the site based on the user agent. The problem is that Capybara won’t let you set custom headers (such as the user agent) the Webrat will. After a quick search of the internet I can across This site. In short the blog post details a way to open up the current RackTest driver (the default driver that cucumber uses) and adds a way to put in arbitrary headers.
I added the code in the blog post to my project and indeed it fixed my tests (with a little reorganizing). Something about it struck me as wrong. Even the blog post I got the technique from calls the class a “Hack.” I wanted to find a cleaner way…
My “cleaner” solution was to write a new Capybara driver that pretends to be an IPhone and to have the mobile specific tests run with that. It is a very simple project that extends the
Capybara::Driver::RackTest code and adds an additional user agent header to identify itself as an IPhone. Now all you have to do is set up the capybara-iphone gem in your project and tag the tests that you want to run the a mobile browser with ‘@iphone’.
More information on using capybara-iphone can be found in the Readme on Github.